We present here a variety of texts and tools for better understanding the Ming Shi-lu, and the conventions we have used to translate the text and present this material in the Web format.
- the Ming Shi-lu as a source in Southeast Asian History
- article as a pdf download: 457k
- 1. Introduction to the Ming Shi-lu
- 2. The Nature of the Ming Shi-lu
- 2.1 - The Contents of the Ming Shi-lu
- 2.2 - The Editions of the Ming Shi-lu
- 2.3 - Collections of MSL References
- 2.4 - Indexes to MSL References
- 2.5 - Characteristics of the MSL as a Historical Source
- 3. The Chinese "World View" and Rhetoric of the Ming Shi-lu
- 3.1 The Emperor / the Chinese State
- 3.2 The Civilizing Role of Chinese Culture
- 3.3 General Attitudes to Non-Chinese Persons
- 3.4 The Place of Other Polities and Peoples
- user's guide
- some important polities
- view all comments
- newsletter signup page
Please note that this project is still in an early stage of development, and we anticipate adding material and making improvements over the next few months. In particular we are working on representing non-standard Chinese characters, and improving aspects of the search interface.
To be placed on a mailing list for information on this resource, please click here. We will not use your email address for any other purpose.