Cheng-hua: Year 8, Month 5, Day 22
28 Jun 1472
The Guang-xi Provincial Administration Commission was ordered to consult with the country of Annam in investigating and fixing the border. Previously, the residents of Shang and Xia Dong Subprefecture in Tai-ping Prefecture, Guang-xi, advised that people from Tai-yuan Subprefecture in the country of Annam had erected palisades and occupied the fields of Gang-long-wei Village in Shang Dong Subprefecture, but at this time had removed the palisades and returned the fields. Also, the residents of Long Subprefecture advised that their territory adjoined that of Xia Si-lang Subprefecture in Annam, and that between them lay a mountain and that the border ran along this. The rocky peaks to the South of the mountain were under Long Subprefecture, while the soil-covered peaks on the north of the mountain were under Si-lang Subprefecture. At this time, the Jiao people had also erected palisades and occupied the fields of the two villages of Na-niang and Leng-qi and the fields of the three villages of Jiao-mo, Yi and Yan (呌磨益奄三村田). The Grand Coordinator and Censor-in-chief Han Yong advised of this and said that Long Subprefecture and Xia Si-lang Subprefecture both held to their own claims and thus joint investigation could not be carried out and the matter could not be clarified. Thereupon, the Ministry of War memorialized in reply: "The Guang-xi Provincial Administration Commission should be instructed to send a despatch to the king of the country of Annam to instruct him in the Great Principles of Right Conduct, and require him to guard his original borders and not allow encroachments, as such actions will give rise to altercations. He should also be instructed to send people to carry out an investigation together with officials of the three offices of Guang-xi and to clarify the matter, so that a border which will be long adhered to can be set down." This order was accordingly issued.
Zhong-yang Yan-jiu yuan Ming Shi-lu, volume 43, page 2048/49